Are you a late-stage doctoral researcher struggling to finish your thesis? Finding it tough to get motivated and keep putting off your writing?
Thesis Boot Camp is for YOU, and has been confirmed for on Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th December.
Join other researchers for an intensive and supportive weekend of writing, giving you the necessary time, space and encouragement to make significant progress on your first draft.
With the support of short tutorials, group discussion and one-to-ones with the facilitators, you will be able to focus on generating text, either producing a large number of words or refining and editing existing content. Boot Camp is not for proof-reading, preparing presentations or grant applications, or any outputs other than your thesis.
The event is fully catered, including lunch and dinner on the Saturday and lunch on the Sunday, but overnight accommodation is not available.
Who can attend?
Thesis Boot Camp is a free event provided by the Researcher Development Programme. You must be:
- registered for a doctoral degree at Sussex
- in the final stages of completing your PhD – that is, you have completed data collection (whatever form that takes) and are ‘writing up’
- able to clearly identify how you would benefit from an intensive weekend of drafting a particular section of your thesis
- willing and able to attend all sessions, to complete preparatory tasks in the lead-up, and to commit to the ethos of dedicated writing
- able to provide details of an academic referee to support your application (supervisor or Director of Doctoral Studies)
How do I apply?
See the Thesis Boot Camp webpage for full details, and to apply.
Places at Thesis Boot Camp are in high demand, and it is likely to be oversubscribed. We’ll be assessing each application carefully, so please answer the questions as fully as possible.
Attendees must complete preparatory work in advance, including a short online get-together on Friday 2nd December, and will be charged if they miss a weekend session. A waiting list will be in operation.
The deadline for applications is 12 noon on Monday 7th November.