The ‘Life Beyond the PhD’ conference at Cumberland Lodge offers PhD students and early career researchers from across the UK the opportunity to share their experiences with each other, learn communication and engagement skills, and develop lasting networks.
This year’s conference, held in Windsor Great Park, will take place between Monday 15 and Friday 19 August.
Four nights of single accommodation at Cumberland Lodge will be provided to successful applicants, along with all meals during their attendance. Travel expenses to and from the Lodge will also be covered.
What’s in it for you?
Our varied programme is designed to help you develop the transferable skills you will need to maximise the impact of your academic work in the wider world, both within and outside of academia. We focus on communication, public engagement, and interdisciplinary working, through a series of skills sessions, a group project, and with the help of guest speakers.
- presentation skills and writing for non-academic audiences
- sharing research with non-specialists
- CV writing skills
- collaboration skills to optimise social impact.
This unique event presents the opportunity to explore the social value of PhDs, and aims to develop long-lasting support networks across traditional, institutional, and disciplinary boundaries. It also provides an inclusive environment for researchers to exchange experiences, practices, and aspirations.
To be eligible, you will:
- Be within the last year of doctoral or first year of postdoctoral research.
- Have had early experience or aspire to engage in either research leadership, interdisciplinary research, or public engagement.
- Take an innovative approach to research.
If you are interested please apply using the following application form by Wednesday 20 July at 17.00. Preference will be given to applicants from under-represented groups.